GARNELENHAUS - ONLINESHOP
GLASGARTEN - Environment Aquarium Soil
AQUA DESIGN AMANO (ADA)

Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+

Hello,

Sorry for English language, I don't speak German at all.
      I got a question about Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+... I use it for remineralization of the reverse osmosis water for water changing in my fish tank. Dissolving Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ in a separate container (1.5 the measure spoon for 15 litres of the RO water), I got water with kH 4, gH 7 and PH more than 8!!! I tried to use Seachem Acid Buffer to lower pH but, of course, I've gotten low kH as well. KH is arround 0 to 1 what is too low for me. I've gotten problems with snails and some plants in my aquarium.
      So there is a question... What's wrong with me? Is there any way to get water with kH 4-6, gH 7-8 and pH NO more than 7 using Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+?!
      I don't use CO2 injection in my aquarium and the tap water in my region (I'm from California) is soft with kH 2, gH 4 and pH higher than 7 (probably 7.2 I use API drop test kit). If I use the tap water, I get the same problem with high pH...
      I'll appreciate any useful information...
    • Hi @Kolbass

Are You using a demineralizer or a reverse osmosis system ?
      Demineralizers can give you a headache hitting the right pH value. Here's a good document that explains the chemistry facts on this -> Relationship between pH and Deionized Water <-

I am using reverse osmosis and Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+, and it works fine for me. So here are some experience records for you to compare:

My tap water has pH 7,6 and about 220 ppm TDS.
      Straight after RO i have around 10 ppm TDS, and a clean pH 7,0 ... as expected. I'm adding Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ with a level spoon on 10 liters which gives me 2°dKH and 4° dGH (accoording to my drop test), but it does not have any impact on pH that i could read out with the drop check.

If you're using a reverse osmosis system, i'm with Carsten guessing that your pH drop checker is not working correct.
      Otherwise there might be a problem with the diaphragm in your RO system, but you'll probably see that when investgating the water after RO.

Best regards
      Marcus
    • Carsten Logemann schrieb:

Hi Kolbass,
      my first guess is, your ph-Meter or drop test is not correct,... how much mikrosiemens or TDS is you rear osmosis water?
      Wow! This is a new idea for me... Thank you so much, I'll check pH using another test kit.. and sorry I don't have a TDS meter...

Stuart schrieb:

Hi @Kolbass

Are You using a demineralizer or a reverse osmosis system ?
      Demineralizers can give you a headache hitting the right pH value. Here's a good document that explains the chemistry facts on this -> Relationship between pH and Deionized Water
      Well... A local pet store sells this water as a reverse osmosis... The sourse water pH is 5.5 but now I'm not sure in my test kit (Thanks Mr. Carsten Logemann ha ha!) anyway thank you so much now I'm gonna read this article and check my sourse water.

Then cause you assume that this situation is weird... simple theoretically, how high supposed to be pH if I... using Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ and a normal RO water... do water kH 4 & gH 8?